Monday, June 20, 2005

Human Spackle, Part 2

"Sometimes you have to take the time out of your day to be an asshole."

Those were sage words of wisdom imparted to me by my platoon sergeant, SFC Davis, when I was a young, dumb 2LT back in my 101st days. Now I'm an older, less dumb senior captain, but I still follow his advice. Everything is not sunshine. Or as another wise platoon sergeant in our company, SFC Allison, once told me after pointing out how bad I had screwed something up: "Its called candor. Get used to it." I got used to it, and Davis, Allison, and I got along just fine. Eventually.

So what does this have to do with human spackle? Well, it seems that 2LT B's tasking got cancelled (for now). And this is a good thing. I was happy when I found out the news, but not everything is not sunshine.

2LT B remains a qualified officer who has not been mobilized and deployed. He's on the hook for the next tasking. He has a rendezvous with destiny in either Iraq of Afghanistan. Of this I have no doubt. And this is what I reminded him of when I spoke to him today.

"You're off the hook...for now," I told him. The worst part about these things is that about 25% of the time these taskings get cancelled. The soldier gets all spun up. The get themselves and their families mentally, physically, and spiritually prepared for what is about to happen, and then nothing does. It’s a grand mind-fuck, Army style.

And so I have to be the one who rains on 2LT B's parade reminding him of the reality that he faces. It's called candor. Get used to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home