Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Afghanistan Highlights for 2005

Reuters has an excellent summary of what happened in Afghanistan in 2005.

Here's what happened on my birthday:


7 July - The Afghan government and the United Nations celebrated the end of the disarmament and demobilisation phase of the UN-backed Disarmament Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) as the last ex-militia member was disarmed at a ceremony in the capital, Kabul, on Thursday. "I am proud to have surrendered my arm to the president of my country, I hope I will now join the reconstruction Jihad [holy war]," said Jalalludin, a former officer of the 717 Kabul brigade and the last Afghan ex-combatant in DDR. He was speaking immediately after surrendering his AK 47 to president Hamid Karzai as a symbolic move to mark the formal end of disarmament.



On that day, my head was surrendering more hair in the my loosing Jihad against my encroaching middle age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home