Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Wraith Down! And You Can Help

There is a program for intelligence reservists...err...I mean Army Reserve Soldiers. We're not supposed to call ourselves reservists anymore especially at drill...err...I mean Battle Assembly. Anyway, there is a program for intelligence reservists called MIAD. Basically, because most MI specialties are very low density and MI units are scattered, this program pays for soldiers to come TDY to MI units all over the country. I have soldiers from all over the country assigned to my unit. Okay so why is that important?

One of my soldiers, SSG B, is from Biloxi, MS. We got word from his today that he and his family are okay. However, their house was completely destroyed. SSG B is a great guy. He's an OIF vet, and a professional all the way. He's one of the "go to" guys in my company--the Wraiths.
So, I'm going to do something to help him out. I figure the best way is with money.

I'm looking for ideas about how to work donations for him and his family. I want something that would be easy for him to access, easy for my unit to donate to, and easy for the world at large to contribute to.

So I'm looking for ideas. I'm going to call Army Emergency Relief and my bank and USAA tommorow. If anyone knows of a set up that works, let me know. I'll lay the foundations, and once SSG B greenlights my help, I'll execute. Of course, he's kind of stoic guy so he might not take a hand out. But, if its a donation from the unit, and all the military types who read my blog, then its not really a hand out, is it? Its just comrades in arms helping another comrade in arms.

Post your ideas in the comments or shoot me and email.



At September 07, 2005, Anonymous Mrs Greyhawk said...

Soldiers Angels should be your first stop. http://soldiersangels.org/heroes/index.php

At September 07, 2005, Blogger Patti said...

please have them email us
Soldiers Angels
626 398 3131

At September 07, 2005, Blogger Melinda said...

I was just about to put the same thing...Soldiers' Angels.

I hope you contact Patti. She is the BEST and once you do, it would be an honor for me (one of the newer Angels) to see how I can help.

Prayers for him & his family until then.

At September 07, 2005, Blogger A Veteran (Ben Bauman) said...

The Veterans of Foreign Wars and American Legion can both help. Have him contact the national offices. I do not have the number with me, but he can get it on the web (vfw.org and legion.org) or he can call me 77-631-6504 or cell 678-642-1194. Also, the VFW Department in his state will help with additional funds.

Ben Bauman
Commander, VFW Post 9949
Peachtree City, GA

Adjutant, American Legion Post 105
Fayette County, GA

At September 07, 2005, Blogger Patrick said...

If your going to accept donations, get a paypal account for the effort.

At September 08, 2005, Anonymous AH said...

Call USAA. Thay have programs in place to help those affected by Katrina. If you are not a member, join. They can help. 1-800-531-2256.

At September 12, 2005, Blogger Pam said...

Hi Kris,
Another Soldiers' Angel here - have a link up to your post on Iraq War Today to hopefully get a little more traffic headed over here. Please don't hesitate to ask if there's anything we can do to help!


Post a Comment

<< Home