Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Current TV

I wasn't that fired up about Al Gore as a candidate, but I think he's a pretty smart guy. I know I'll probably get flamed into oblivion by all my Mil Blogger buddies for saying that, but right now he's up to something interesting.

Gore appears to be re-inventing himself, again . His new idea Current TV sounds pretty interesting. You can read about it here. Basically, Current TV sounds like an "open source" network. We are living in the age of citizen journalism and home-brew media so I guess this is the next logical step. I hope it doesn't turn out like some of the public access television here in Austin.

Gore claims that the network won't be partisan. I don't buy that for a minute, but I don't mind if it is. What I will mind is if the network becomes a liberal self-licking ice cream cone where nothing gets done.

If the folks behind Current TV are interested in reaching out to new voices and a broad spectrum of people and ideas, then they should spend time trying to cultivate military sources. Most liberals have zero perspective or understanding about the military. Everything military and defense related is viewed through this weird Vietnam protest prism.

Frankly, I'm tired of this. The left end of the political spectrum ought to spend some time educating itself as to what the military, and those serving in it, are all about. The kids over at Swarthmore Radio are doing it.

I'd like to see Gore and current TV reach out to Mil bloggers. I'd also like to see them reach out to units in Iraq. Digital video cameras are all over the battlefield, and I'm sure that somebody would share with Current TV. All they have to do is ask.

Update: Will Current TV give these types of people more voice on military matters than the actual military? Thanks for Joanne Jacobs and her excellent blog for the link.

Update: Or these types.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home